It’s a somewhat small update, but I wanted to finish it before getting to the new features I’ve been planning.
Here are the changes:
- Added Reaper colors
- Added Gunze colors
- Fixed bug when searching for some colors with the word grey, for example “ulthuan grey”
- Added option to search for specific colors with numbers. For example, instead of searching for “h:86” , you can write “h86” and get the same results. This will only work for searching for specific color numbers, otherwise you still need to separate the color brand and search term with “:” as explained in the Advanced Helper section.
- Improved search speed
For the next version I’m planning a color inventory feature, as well as some more interactive features (flagging a color match and similar). I want people to be able to have access to their color inventory from either the online or the android versions, so I’ll be doing an optional login of some sort, probably based on either facebook, google+, or just an email and password option, and the actual color inventory will be hosted on my server.
I’m also having some ideas about actual physical tools but I’m keeping it under wraps for the moment, I need to see how well it’ll actually work out.
Version 1.5 is now available:
- New color brands: Citadel / Games Workshop
- New color standard: British Standard – a set of standards used in Britain for construction and engineering, including colors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standards). I’ve included BS381C, BS5252, BS2600 and BS4800
- Search improvements: I’ve switched to an OR mode from the previous mode, which was a simple text search without separating the search terms, because I’ve seen people doing searches on multiple words, but because they weren’t exactly the same as the color name, they didn’t find what they were looking for. However, this caused a bigger problem, in that later searches would bring back a lot more results than what people actually wanted to search for.
I did some changes to the grid and searches are now happening on the server side. This enables me to share the search code between the online version and the Android application, and being able to do better searches.
Search will now be an AND mode between each term, so searching for “blue angel” will find all the colors that have both “blue” and “angel” in them, for example Testors 2023 “Blue Angels Yellow”.
Also, you can search on exact text by wrapping the search term in double quotes, and you can search only specific color brands by prefixing the color brand name and a colon to the search term, for example, fs:blue will search for anything containing the word blue in only the FS color brand, and fs:”blue” will search for exactly the word blue in the FS color brand.
See the Advanced Help button in the applications for more details and examples.
- Search will no longer search in the RGB values to prevent false positives when searching for color numbers.